Healthy Shepherd's Pie
Total time: 50 Minutes
- 1 kg of potatoes (peeled)
- 3/4 cup low salt chicken broth
- 3 tbs of olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Meat and Vegetables
- 2 tsp of olive oil
- 1/2 kg of Beef
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 small or 1 large zucchini, chopped
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup low-salt chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or more, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Several grinds of black pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen petit peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup frozen sweet corn, thawed
1. Cover potatoes with cold water in a large pot and add 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil and cook for 15 minutes or until just tender. Drain and mash with ¾ cup broth, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1½ teaspoons salt and several grinds of black pepper, to taste.
2. While potatoes are cooking, preheat oven to 205 degrees celsius. Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large skillet, over medium heat. Cook meat, stirring, until it loses its pinkness. With a spoon, transfer to a bowl and pour off fat from the skillet.
3. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to the skillet. Cook onions and carrots over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until fairly dry and starting to brown, 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and zucchini and cook, stirring, for a minute or so. Return beef to the skillet. Add 1 cup broth, ½ teaspoon thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, black pepper to taste. Simmer over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the corn and peas and remove from heat. Correct the seasoning with more salt and pepper, if desired.
4. To assemble the pie, use a spatula to smooth out the meat filling in the bottom of the skillet or casserole. Spread the mashed potatoes out evenly on top and use the tines of a fork to make swirly patterns in the potatoes, if you like.
5. Bake, uncovered, in the top third of the oven for 25 minutes, or until heated through and golden brown in spots. Rest casserole for 10-15 minutes. Slice into pieces and serve.
Recipe from: https://www.panningtheglobe.com/healthy-spicy-shepherds-pie/