Burrito Zucchini Boats
Total time: 50 Minutes
- 3 zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 500 grams ground beef
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1/2 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- Freshly chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Score zucchini (like you’re dicing an avocado) and scoop out insides, reserving them for later. Place zucchini halves cut side-up into bottom of baking dish and drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil; season with salt and pepper. Bake until zucchini turns bright green and is just beginning to soften, 10 minutes.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and reserved zucchini and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Add ground beef, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon. Cook until beef is no longer pink, about 6 minutes. Drain fat.
- Stir in chili powder, cumin, and paprika, then season with salt and pepper. Stir in black beans, cherry tomatoes, and corn.
- Spoon beef mixture into zucchini then top with cheese. Bake until zucchini is just tender and cheese is melted, about 15 minutes. Garnish with cilantro before serving.
Recipe by: Lauren Miyashiro